Career Connections Academy
A Different Path
Career Connections Academy will prepare students for the world of work through the Allegan County Area Technical & Education Center, career tech classes, accommodating scheduling, and a flexible learning environment. CCA students will have the opportunity to graduate high school with the tools needed to successfully transition into the workforce, enter into an apprenticeship, join the military, or attend a community college.
Students can learn at any place, any pace, and at any time. With a reliable internet connection, students have the opportunity to choose when and where they would like to learn. Students can be fully virtual at home, full-time at school, half-time at home/half time at school, or half-time at the Allegan Tech Center/half time at home. We can accommodate many different scheduling options. This gives students and parents choices empowering learners to decide what is best for their lifestyle.
Ed Options Academy
Edmentum's Ed Options Academy provides CCA with the curriculum and platform for our students to learn online at any time. Instruction is through video tutorials, live Zoom Lessons, assessments, discussion boards, and activities focusing on concept application. All core classes provide guided notes and outlines for students to follow. Each student has an assigned online teacher that is available for questions and instruction throughout the day. Students can text, email, instant message or call to get the help they need. Ed Options also offers specific content intervention sessions throughout the day for students to get one-on-one help. Support is almost always available at the push of the button.
Every week, CCA staff is in direct communication with our students. First and foremost, CCA students are Wayland Union Schools students. We have local control, local advocacy, and a staff that eagerly supports our Wayland students. Coaches provide the link between school and students, parents, and Edmentum. In addition to taking classes at home, students can choose to come into Wayland High School to complete coursework in our lab. Our staff is always available for help. Finally, we have our own guidance counselor aiding students academically and emotionally.
Class options abound with CCA and Edmentum. Ed Options offers over 270 different courses for students. The variety is astounding with Core Classes, Career and Technical Courses, Foreign Language, GED Prep, SAT Test Prep, and Health classes. The titles include: Chinese, Latin, World History, Culinary Arts, Game Development, Lord of the Rings, Latin, Coding, Cosmetology, Forensic Science, Robotics, ASVAB, and Accuplacer Prep. In person elective classes are available for CCA students at Wayland Union High School. The Allegan Technical Center also offers hands-on learning opportunities for Juniors and Seniors.
Our students are able to experience many of the activities associated with high school life. Our students may attend prom and high school dances. They may also join one of the many high school clubs that are offered at Wayland Union HS. Students may not participate in MHSAA sports but they can participate in alternate athletics through CCA. Our in person classroom environment is small, quiet, comfortable and inviting for students that wish to attend in person. Students can get lunch and ride district transportation like any other Wayland student. They receive help from the caring CCA staff at a moment's notice. Finally, our students participate in the regular high school graduation ceremony.
Extra Credit Anyone?
Students have the opportunity to make up missing credits on site or at home, following our mantra of anyplace at any time. Students have a multitude of options to make-up missing credits to get our students caught up for graduation. Credits for CCA students are slightly reduced from the traditional high school credit expectations.
CCA Quick Facts
- CCA Senior Capstone- CCA provides a course called Senior Capstone. The course acts a transitional piece between high school and the outside world or college. Senior Capstone counts as an English elective credit and occurs in the spring semester of each school year. The course is for seniors only. Every student leaving CCA needs a career direction and this course helps to provide road map.
- Graduating CCA students receive a diploma from Wayland Union Schools.
- Graduating CCA students still walk with their class at the graduation ceremony.
- CCA students are eligible to take elective courses at the traditional high school such as: Dance, Auto Shop, Wildcat Woodworking, Choir, Band, Art, Robotics, and Theater.
- CCA is located in the traditional high school’s D wing, not off site.
- CCA students are eligible to participate in all varsity sports at WUHS.
- CCA students may participate in all club activities at WUHS.
- CCA students may attend prom and dances at WUHS.
- CCA’s class sizes are typically smaller than traditional class sizes. Students are therefore able to get more one on one help in their core classes.
- CCA students take all of their core courses with highly qualified CCA instructors that have over 45 years of combined service in alternative education.
- CCA students participate in alternative athletic events against other alternative programs in the area. Events included are: bowling, disc golf, and softball.
- CCA offers a family type atmosphere where all students are accepted and known by their peers.